Thursday, March 15, 2007

First Flowers




These beautiful lampwork beads have been sitting on my desk for a few weeks now, whispering sweet suggestions as to what they'd like to be. They are handmade by Glass & Splinters Lampwork, and I think that ametrine and pearls suit them to a T. I love these beads! The focal has lovely little violets on a coppery background encased in clear glass, and all three have dots of fine silver that glow when they catch the light. They are truly a work of art! The maille is a variation on the butterfly weave (I had a great time messing with the ring sizes until I got the look I wanted) and the clasp is handmade by me, using traditional fabrication methods. I needed something heavy to balance the focal bead and keep it on top of the wrist. It was quite a challenge to keep all those little balls of silver in place while soldering and fusing; I think I spent half my time chasing them down!

In private collection

No comments: