Thursday, August 23, 2007

Skipping Stones




We stood there, our heads together, both of us looking at the stone I held in my hand. "It has to be roundish, and flat, and about this big," I told him. He looked at the stone in my hand as if to memorize it.

"Does the color matter?" he asked, his little boy voice soft and low, not wanting to be overheard by his big sister who was sitting on a blanket a few yards away, her back to us, pretending that she didn't know us.

"Nope," I said breezily, and we transfered our gazes to the ground, hoping to find another one.

"Is this a good one?" he asked.

"Yup; I think so. Let's find out." I showed him how to hold the stone and how to release it, pointing out how my index finger curled around it before I let it fly. "One, two, three, four! Yup, that was definitely a good one. You try now." I handed him the example stone.

Thud-splash.

"It takes practice."

"I know."

© 2007 Cynthia Newcomer Daniel

Copper, lampwork focal by Melissa Vess of Inner Realm Creations, lampwork accent beads by Lorraine of Glass and Splinters. Hand fabricated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love your jewelry and your stories are completely enchanting! Could I mention you on my blog? I think my readers would love to see what you're doing!

-Kay

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

I would be honored. Thank you!